Tuesday, June 12, 2012

I have had a couple friends ask me for advice on a variety of pregnancy, nursing, baby topics. By no means am I any expert but wish there was a one stop shop for all things baby when I was pregnant. With that disclaimer, here is my advice on what to bring to the hospital and of course hindsight is 20/20.


What to pack for the hospital for the big Birth Day:


When it came time to pack or the hospital we were not under prepared. In fact, we brought way too much stuff! It looked like we were moving in for at least a month with all of our computers, cameras, games etc and of course, we ended up using very little. I had a terrible headache all through labor and didn't really want to watch a movie. But you just never know, so its better to  be prepared for the unexpected. (You figure out how to prepare for that and let me know!)

1. Nightgown or PJ's- Yes, I said nightgown. Before having Jack I have never even owned a night gown or even thought of buying one. However, an older and much wiser woman (Chase's Grandma) gave me one for a shower gift. It wasn't really my style and much too big, but it was perfect to lounge around in after giving birth and I didn't care what got on it. (This is VERY important) because whatever you wear, you wont be wearing again. Trust me!

-  I bought several cute, warm pajama sets for the hospital since it was December. I did wear some while in the hospital but I was sweating so terribly... I would have preferred to sleep in my birthday suit. Make sure you bring something that is nice and breathable and above all comfortable.

2. Granny Panties- Chase and I still laugh about shopping for the ugliest, roomiest pair of underwear imaginable. You can't wear regular bikini underwear if you have a c-section, and this is not the occasion for those cute little thongs you keep in the back of your drawer. Bring several pair s of the most comfortable ones you can find and a couple to wear once you get home.
3. Pillows- After, 24 hours of lying in a bed, I was very thankful for my favorite pillow from home. BUT bring an old pillowcase. Mine had blood all over it from Chase cutting Jack's umbilical cord and in the blur that followed... those scissors ended up in my hair on the pillow. Crazy stuff! Don't forget a pillow,sheets and clothes for Dad or whoever is staying in the hospital with you.



4. Shoes- Flip flops or slippers for walking the hallways.

5. Lifesavers or other hard candy. These candies truly lived up to their name I was so sick of eating ice chips.

6. Chap stick,  pony tail holders, makeup. (All help to make you feel somewhat human again)

7. Movies, magazines etc. We ended up not watching much but is is very nice to have some distractions because you could be in for some MAJOR downtown time. (We were in the hospital for four days total..way longer than I was expecting so you kinda forget you may need supplies and stuff to do AFTER the big event... besides snuggling with your baby!)

9. Baby Supplies-(The fun stuff!) We brought lots of snugly one piece outfits for Jack, and he couldn't wear any of them because of his IV antibiotics in his arm. Make sure you bring some short sleeve onesies and bring several. Chase had to go home and get more because we weren't quite prepared just how quickly babies get dirty! I also packed our own hats and blankets*.
* Chase then took a blanket of Jack's and my nightgown home for our dogs to smell before we all came home. It really seemed to help!


8. Camera!

9. Shampoo, Lotion etc.- Checking into the hospital is not quite like checking into the Hilton. All the soap in the hospital comes out of a dispenser. Bath and Body Works soap makes a lukewarm shower with horrible pressure a little bit better. Its the little things!

10.Carseat-I promise your husband will drive the slowest you have ever seen during the drive home with your brand new baby, and you will still think he is going too fast!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.